Martes, Agosto 25, 2015

This Superhero Nurse Set Her Own Broken Legs After a Car Accident

Talk about badass.

Most of us would be S.O.L. if we became stranded with broken legs. But most of us aren’t Stacie Reis.

The Canadian nurse saved herself from having to undergo a double amputation by painfully setting her own legs after getting into a car crash, Canada’s Global News reports.

That’s right: She moved her broken legs back into place—on her own, without anesthesia.

RELATED: 7 Steps for Mentally Healing from an Injury

Stacie pulled the superhero move after her car veered off the road and fell 40 feet down an embankment.

“I noticed my feet were real broken,” she told Global News. “They were twisted to the side. My little nurse brain was like, ‘You’ve got to straighten those up because you’re going to…lose your blood supply, and then you’re going to lose your legs.’ I just prayed for a while, and so I then picked them up and I moved them. It was really painful, but I did it.”

It’s not like she set her legs and then got help immediately: Stacie was trapped in her car for 14 freaking hours before friends found her.

Unfortunately, she didn’t just have broken legs. Once she was finally taken to the hospital, doctors discovered she had a broken sternum, ribs, and pelvis, as well as contusions (i.e., bad bruises) to her heart and lungs.

RELATED: See Inspiring Photos of 5 Women Determined to Stay Fit After Tragic Accidents

Doctors said her ability to set her own legs probably played a big part in saving them.

Stacie has a long recovery journey ahead of her (she’s had five surgeries so far), and it will be about a year before she walks again. But she says she’s looking forward to getting back to work eventually.

“Being a patient definitely has influenced what kind of nurse I’m going to be,” she says. “I think I’ll be an even better nurse when I go back.”

RELATED: How to Handle a Huge ER Bill

Friends have set up a GoFundMe page for Stacie, which has raised more than $17,000 toward her recovery.

shutterstock_202780714.jpg

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento